Love you, WordPress April 24, 2011Posted by Akash in Review.
Tags: Adsense, WordPress for iPhone
add a comment
It took little time for me to get started with WordPress and by the time I finished uploading my first post, I already loved it.
Coming from Joomla background, CMS was not new to me. But what I loved about WordPress is its simplicity. I felt it’s quite fast and straight forward to put your blog up and running in WordPress. In fact Joomla being a full-fledged CMS for web is quite complicated compared to WordPress.
Things I like about WordPress
1. Extremely professional looking and well built collection of website templates/theme
2. Easy to do inbuilt support for mobile web
3. Site administration can be done from desktop as well as from smart phones including publishing and editing posts, moderating comments etc.
4. Huge collection of free widgets (like module in Joomla) that can be easily placed in the site to enable various functionalities
5. In built site usage statistics.
Things I don’t like about WordPress
1. Does not have a separate menu module like Joomla
2. You need to pay money if you want to edit the CSS file of the template
3. Adsense code can not be used if the blog is hosted under WordPress (like mine)
Inability to add Google Adsense code looked quite deterring to me initially but then I realized that I am using WordPress services free of charge so it’s natural for them to not allowing me monetize my blog. This is where Google Blogger differentiates from WordPress. Blogger in spite of being a free blogging platform, allows you to monetize your blog through Google Adsense code.
For the time being, the Adsense thing does not matter much to me, since this is a new site with very less number of visitors. But once the site attracts more visitors, I will host it under some other hosting services where I will be able to use Adsense.
As I said above in the positive sides of WordPress, it is real easy to do blog administration through smartphone apps. For example I am using WordPress for iOS that I have installed in my iPhone 4 free of charge from App Store. This gives me an unprecedented flexibility to manage and edit my blog on the go.